Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Step 1. Get Glider Upgrade. Step 2. Fly around and locate opponents. Step 3. Kill them all.

Developing flight in Silas was a really fun and amazing time! I first thought of adding flight into the game about 6 years ago. Many games had flight at that point, but I wanted to do something different. I wanted the player to instantly transform from the ground to flight, and I wanted it to be very fun and easy to control. I also wanted it to contain cool weapons. The glider upgrade was born!

Originally I wanted to add something that looked like a straight up glider with wings made of cloth. But as the game took a sci-fi edge, it ended moving towards a metallic look. It also had to look good on all the different characters I have in the game. I settled on a metallic wing body that snaps onto the kart.

Eventually the weapons were added. A chain-gun to kill those in the air easily. And the ability to drop bombs for killing those on the ground. This was inspired by carpet bombing.

Flight adds an entirely new dynamic to the multiplayer in Silas. Because of flight, turret mode was thought of and implemented! This allows the players on the ground to kill those in the air. Many strategies are available because of the ground-air and air-air dynamics.

You can find the video showcasing the glider below:




Thanks for reading. Please feel free to let me know what you think. I aim to make Silas one of the best PC games around, so please help support it by tracking, spreading the word, and pre-ordering!


Track This Game on ModDB

Follow Silas at these Sites:

No comments:

Post a Comment